Monday, January 5, 2009

2009 National Championship Game... Means Nothing

As far as I'm concerned, we already have our national champion. The University of Utah Utes just finished their season 13-0. Tell me they play in a weaker conference and I'll tell you "phooey". With wins over Michigan, TCU, BYU and once-ranked #1 Alabama, the Utes have amassed a resume this year easily strong enough to garner #1 votes.

The one argument I'm already hearing that doesn't sit well with me is Alabama wasn't motivated to play them. That the Crimson Tide brought their A-game for its battle against Florida, but with nothing more than a top five ranking on the line against Utah the Tide had no real motivation for the Sugar Bowl. "Phooey" I say again.

Utah dismantled a talented Alabama team. The same Alabama team that pundits were ready to crown champs just a few weeks ago. Don't use excusses as to why Utah won. They won. They scored more points. As the only FBS team to finish this year undefeated after a win in the Sugar Bowl, Utah should be our National Champion.

EDIT: With Texas winning Monday night, I now feel two teams have a valid argument about being number one. If I had a vote, I would still go 1. Utah, 2. Texas... regardless of Thursday's outcome.

No comments: