Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Finding Kansas City's QB

Let the search... and the pulling of hair out... begin.

Now that Scott Pioli has climbed onto this Chiefs saddle (kinda*), we should assume he's steering those reigns in the direction of the great unknown... Kansas City's next quaterback.

*Please, lets make a decision on Herm Edwards, already.

Truth be told, this post could be very, very long. We'll try to keep it short, given that a lot of evaluations still need to be done.

First, I will state my qualifications in regards to helping with this search. I've long predicted the fates of many of the recent QB prospects... lets take a look:

Matt Ryan - HUGE Fan... good pick.
Joe Flacco - Big Fan... good pick.
Brian Brohm - Big Fan... may never know.
JaMarcus Russell - HUGE Hater... good pick.
Brady Quinn - Small Hater... might be wrong.
Vince Young - HUGE Hater... told you so.
Matt Leinart - HUGE Hater... told you so, I think.
Brodie Croyle - HUGE Hater... take it to the bank.
Alex Smith - Big Fan... OOPS!
Aaron Rodgers - Big Fan... looks good.
Eli Manning - Small Fan... depends on the day, I guess.
Philip Rivers - Big Hater... I'll be kind to myself and say the jury's still out.
Ben Roethlisberger - HUGE, HUGE Fan... Thank You, Come Again!!!


Anyway, obviously these opinions only deal with the small amount of games I see on television and the deciphering of opinions I hear from so-called "experts". I often ignore running qb's (see Young, Vince), try to ignore big arm, physical specimens (see Russell, JaMarcus) while looking for well learned, seniors (see Ryan, Matt) and players that just have it (see Roethlisberger, Ben).


Well, here's the problem this year... we're looking at slim pickings, with the added pressure of currently sitting in the 3rd spot in the draft. Outside of trading down, if the draft happened today, it seems likely the Chiefs would be forced to choose between USC's Mark Sanchez and either O-Line help, Michael Crabtree or or Aaron Curry.*

With that being said, I'm going to announce my choice for quarterbacks of the 2009 draft class:

Mark Sanchez, USC

Write it down, Sanchez will be a success. Hopefully, he's chosen by the Chiefs. And, please, don't allow Matt Stafford anywhere near Kansas City.

No comments: